Wednesday, October 29, 2008

Brokencyde

It was interesting enough to see that Bj posted a bulletin with a hate filled message below a video. In that case, it had to be something that Bj was 100% serious about. I decided to watch the video, which I rarely do, unless I have watched it hundreds of times prior and wanted to watch in again. Anyways, as I was watching it, it's amazing to see what people are going to mix and match with to make that extra dollar.

By this I mean, originality has been extinguished in this time and age. Believe it or not, practically everything that would sound good has been created but it seems Brokencyde thinks otherwise. Hip Hop, Electronica, and Screamo, or in the words of Bj, "shitting on hip hop with their piss poor attempt to blend in their faux screamo," is not a good mix. First of all, you have hip hop, or what I like to call "stupid music for the masses, with half their "musicians" unable to put passion in their lyrics while putting it on top of clicks and whistles looped over and over again". Second, you have screamo, a form of music, with REAL instruments with some passion put into their lyrics, and variations throughout the song. Now, I don't know if it's just me, but I believe that two complete opposites can never make music. To consider this mixture to be music is to hang yourself. The compatibility of the two genres will only result in 1) a clash of scenes, 2) a more noticeable, emo looking ballers scene, 3) a music industry that relies on lyrics involving sex, drugs, and money while setting a plague upon the other genres that actually have something better to say than, "when i shop so much I speak Italian".

Another aspect that I don't understand is the fact that this band actually has a following. There is no other reason why the music industry is dying. The intellect of people that actual listen to music have manifested into something that people jump from one to another rather than the lifestyle that music should have. Music is not something that should be looked as a simple form of entertainment but more as a lifestyle thus resulting in music becoming art.

Everybody claims that Hip Hop has more meaning than Rock, but let me kill your dreams, before Tupac, there were Metal, Punk, Blues bands that created more meaning and changed the world. What has Tupac done? I am sorry to say but, "only God can judge me" won't cut it. The musical perspective has dwindled into this, if you have the look, you can get the money. Simple as that, whatever happened to, if you have lyrics that mean anything you can rid the world of something horrible. In case a counter argument emerges, I will say this, Ancestral, a black metal band, spoke of our need to stop the industrialization of Earth. U2, a rock band, brought up political problems for the world to see, Sunday Blood Sunday, perfect example. Nena, another rock band, brought up the Communist threat. This is only .00000000000001% of the impact Rock has created, I think it is time to return to the good times where music had meaning but obviously, if Brokencyde has "meaning" I wouldn't want that to happen.

No comments: