Sunday, September 27, 2009

SPEARHEAD!!!

Despite being super tired right now, The Gathering of the Bestial Legions was a success. Unfortunately, half the people never bothered actually coming in to enjoy the show and instead got an update in the latest "metal" gossip. I found out that Nicholas Cage's ex-wife married Shagrath, thus the reason for Eyes of Cockcum. Anyways, I nearly kissed the Urgehal merch chick which would have been an awkward moment, oh well..., and I came home with less merch than I had thought. People actually complimented me on my shirt, after wearing it to 99% of the show's I attend to, I am complimented, at this point I got to find another show shirt.

First band was Daemonic, playing Black/Death metal, nothing special. Second band was Ritual Torture, despite being short on time, they played amazingly and their vocalist demanded your attention, it was as if he had been performing for decades. Unholy Lust sucked, the vocalist seemed very high and kept saying a bunch of bullshit, wasting our time. Resuscitator and Infinitum Obscure I missed, I think the latter band is very boring. Eyes of Noctum was next and fuck, I watched them just so I can get a good spot for Spearhead, and that was horrible. Weston Cage's stage presence is that tough big guy, power stance and all. His vocals are a combination of Dani Filth and over processed growling. The keyboards seemed out of place, no atmosphere whatsoever just very fruity rhythms, definitely worse than Abigail Williams. There is one thing I respect Weston Cage for, it's the fact that he is a very good speaker, that is if it wasn't scripted.

Spearhead was next and I had been anticipating their set for quite some time. Their set was shortened drastically but it was still perfect. Playing primarily their whole "Decrowning the Irenarch" CD, I was headbanging the whole fucking time, all my favorite songs were played. The Chasm were after them and they seemed to be a crowd favorite. The response was very strong, small in number compared to Urgehal and Destroyer 666 but the fans were very devoted. A fight broke out during the set which the security guards couldn't take control of until they got outside. Urgehal was next and damn, they put on a good show. The vocalist does many crazy antics while throwing out obscenities, "Bang your fucking brains out. . . Sodomize your bitches!" My desecrated arm should prove how good they were.

Destroyer 666 was the headlining band and they went through a number of sound "problems". The band's perfect intent delayed the performance for an additional 20 minutes at least and it was already 1:30. Throughout the set it was obvious they were unsatisfied with their sound and the crowd was obviously getting tired. KK didn't get the response he had expected but what can you do? We have been standing and watching bands play for the past 6 hours, you suffer a "delay", the anticipation dies down especially if you are impatient. Anyways, the first half of their songs sounded very cluttered while the later half was flawless. "I am the Wargod" and "Eternal Glory of War" got the crowd chanting along during the chorus, it was like a military march, amazing.

No comments: