Saturday, December 6, 2008

One Final Action

Since I decided to stay up and work a bit on my homework tonight, I finished most of it and decided to begin on a few of the reviews.

I'm In A Coffin - One Final Action
One Final Action album cover

I.I.A.C. is comprised of two humans, although the vocals make this duo seem to be from the darkest depths of the Void. Sad-ist and Adorable (the reason for the name is unknown) play a dissonant form of DSBM. Their style definitely branches out from the now, over done DSBM sound, simple drumming, tremolo picking, and high pitched screams.

Musically speaking, there are only three songs that really stand out those being Chapter V, Vein Deep in Solution, and Wrist Deep in Depression. Everything else seems to drag on a bit and is only added as filler material. After listening to the album a couple of times, I began to like the other songs, sadly, not that many people are as patient as I am. The drums are fairly simple, nothing over done and nothing technical like what is heard on Austere's albums. The guitars are played in an unheard of manner. They seem to be tremolo picked yet chugged at the same time, perhaps it is the effects that make it sound odd but no matter what it still has capabilities of boring the listener. If I am hearing correctly, bass is used to the fullest (particularly the last two strings), which is nowadays, unheard of. Suprisingly, that is what sets the actual mood of the album. The song writing of this album doesn't seem very much intact. The mood and the tempo is achieved, other than the 3 songs mentioned above, the song writing needs some polishing up on.

Despite the music, the vocals definitely do keep you interested, and thats what makes up for the lack of innovation in music. At times, it just becomes a dual between the guitars and the vocalists, placing far more emphasis on the vocals more than anything else. The vocals are a major point of the album, they are nothing I have ever heard before, harsh, unsettling, tormented, and negative. The only person that comes to mind that is better is Kim Carlsson, which I doubt will ever be beat, and he is the only I know of that has a shriek that screams depression.

Overall, I will rate this album a 6/10 due to the fact that the vocals are unique and literally sends chills down my back. This band has LOTS of potential, I will just have to wait to see their skill fully exercised.

No comments: