Wednesday, September 2, 2009

Hardcore

Hardcore is something that I was never a big fan of, I do like a few bands here and there like in almost every genre but as a whole, I'll stay away. The reasons will be listed below:

Pros:

1. Lyrical anthems prove to be a large focal point. With chant alongs and intellectual lyrics it keeps the music fan oriented.

2. Fan base is very devoted, elitism is dropped.

Cons:

1. The pro-life concept of some bands I am not a huge fan of. It's like preaching how great life is, substitute life for God. As for being straight edge, I disagree with it because drugs open up many gates. It brings forth numerous perspectives, sometimes, you can't rely on the same perspective of your miserable to life to find the answer to that miserable life.

2. The vocals often times become very annoying. The consistency and relentless approach to out of breath vocals I am unable to stand.

3. The movement to the music is much hated. I have never appreciated or even saw any reason to appreciate Hardcore Dancing. Swinging your arms wildly looks stupid and at the Have Heart show it seemed to have got plenty of people pissed off who just wanted to enjoy the show.

4. The drum pattern just doesn't connect. A blast beat can only be matched with tremolo picking considering the consistent plucking, but for chugging riffs, I don't see galloping as the appropriate match.

5. The music as a whole gives me a headache, which is rare. Brutal Death/Grindcore is the only other genre to be able to do so.

I am only basing this off of the Have Heart show, but considering that they are one of the biggest Hardcore bands, I think it would be worthy of comparison.

No comments: