Tuesday, November 24, 2009

Mastodon

Photobucket

After watching Mastodon's live performance and humming Oblivion a number of times, I gave in and purchased Crack The Skye.

Crack the Skye is near a great album but considering how much progressive-ness there is, it becomes an OK album. Listening to other songs I often wonder how could I have not liked them but compared to Crack the Skye, how could I really like this. Oblivion contains music, with vocal melodies that remain memorable, heavy chugging, while Ghost of Karella lacks a number of those qualities. Ghost of Karella and Divinations indulge in "how many riffs can I play in this amount of time", I normally don't care for conventional song structures but this is where I do, especially when Oblivion is amazing. Last Baron is this album's last song and this albums last sign of hope. The song is great with minimal neck fucking moments.

The production for the album is what you would expect it to be. Expensive, thousands of dollars and hour. Considering how intricate their music is, it demands no less. But Fuck, get the fuck out of that progressive state.

6.5/10

A real shame.

No comments: