Sunday, November 1, 2009

Empty

This past weekend I have gotten very little sleep. Friday night was the Riverside party which gave me a few laughs, I didn't drink very much since I was DD. Last night was the Kult ov Azazel and Tenebrous show. The opening bands were alright, nothing too great or interesting, or even worth mentioning, but the last two were amazing. The small attendance was a disappointment but it didn't change the performance, they gave the small crowd all that they could.

Despite some mishaps on behalf of Xaphan, session for Tenebrous, the sound was still great. VJS pounded on the drums and shattered cymbals and sticks while the snare was suffering from a consistent blast. Armanen's vocals were clear, raspy and scathing, almost reptilian. I couldn't resist headbanging throughout all my favorite songs which were played.

Kult ov Azazel cut plenty of their songs off their list but the songs were played with precision. One thing that isn't heard very often is that bands that release numerous albums tend to not cover a number of them. Kult ov Azazel covered their whole discography, songs ranged from Triumph of Fire to Destroying the Sacred. Dual vocals evoked a haunting atmosphere, layered with fast, technical drumming made their set one to not be missed.

And of course, while at the Black Castle, I tried a new beer, Samuel Adams Octoberfest. It was quite delicious, a nice thick flavor, smooth finish, a perfect amount of foam that stayed for quite some time. Upon first sip, you are welcomed with sweets and departed with a nice bitterness. It definitely ranks high among dark beers, blows New Castle (which I see to be overrated now) out of the water.

I made some new friends as well!

No comments: